The Best CBD Oil for Joint Pain and How to Use It Correctly
CBD oil has been used traditionally for thousands of years to relieve pain and ease discomfort, but it has been only recently that the modern medical community has once more embraced its healing capabilities. Many people, including experts and researchers (medical and otherwise), have praised the incredible therapeutic potential of cannabinoids, especially when applied topically as an oil to ease joint pain. (1) (2)
What Can CBD Do for Joint Pain?
Many people commonly reach for over-the-counter pharmaceuticals to relieve pain and stiffness, but these can come with a wide array of side effects, including damage to the liver, kidneys, and stomach lining. (3) For those who prefer a more gentle, natural approach to managing their joint pain and inflammation, CBD in hemp oil or coconut cream may provide relief without the long-term side effects found in many other pain relievers. (4)
CBD oil applied topically to areas afflicted with joint pain and inflammation may soothe discomfort quickly without ingestion or absorption into the bloodstream. Researchers at the Imperial College London found that CBD can reduce inflammation in mice by 50 percent at the right dosage. (6)
There are many studies that support hemp oil’s pain-relieving claim. Scientists from the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda (US), for example, showed that cannabinoids can suppress inflammatory and neuropathic pain without causing analgesic tolerance (increased tolerance that commonly occurs when taking opioids, meaning users are required to increase their doses). (5)
The Best CBD Oil for Joint Pain
CBD lotions, creams, balms, and other topical related products offer a unique usability that no other CBD product does. With CBD topicals, you can target specific points of stiffness or inflammation on your body with pinpoint accuracy. CBD can be absorbed through the skin, making these topicals a great means of directly alleviating any aches or pains.
Creams and other topicals are vital for combating joint pain since you can use your CBD cream right on your knee or elbow for joint relief, something you cannot do with any other form of CBD.
However, since topicals are absorbed through the skin, they tend to work slower than most other CBD product types, even though they have can have potent CBD concentrations. Additionally, creams, lotions, and balms tend to be slightly more expensive than other CBD products when comparing CBD quantity. This is because they usually contain a variety of other high-quality ingredients not found in traditional CBD products.
Think about your needs and what you’re looking for. Are you seeking effective, long-term relief, or are you looking for more immediate comfort? For the long-term, ingest-able products (such as capsules and tinctures) may be more suitable, but for sudden soreness in one particular area, a CBD topical might be just what you need.
How to Properly Use CBD for Joint Pain
Depending on the type of CBD product you choose, the usage instructions will vary. Always refer to the product’s packaging for guidelines.
How to apply topicals:
Before applying, wash the affected area of skin well and rinse away all traces of soap you are using. This makes sure that you are not diluting the effect of the topical and are getting the full intended effects.
Pat the skin dry rather than rubbing it. Then apply the cream or ointment thinly and evenly to the affected area(s). Gently massage the cream or ointment into the skin until it has all disappeared.
Don’t forget to wash your hands after applying the cream or ointment (unless your hands are the affected area) to avoid spreading the product to other areas.
How to apply tinctures:
CBD based tinctures are liquid supplements packaged in a glass bottle. They will come with either a dropper or spray top for easy dispensing.
Tinctures are very popular and for a good reason. They offer a unique opportunity for the people making them add other robust ingredients, such as coconut oil, terpenes, astralagus, and other natural herbs and essential oils. These additions help mask the pungent taste of natural hemp. The flavor of tinctures is typically more well-received than pure hemp oil concentrates.
To take a CBD oil tincture, fill the pipette by using the dropper top. Then, simply dispense the desired amount under your tongue. This is called “sublingual” use. Now, wait 60 to 90 seconds, and then swallow the oil. If you find the flavor is too potent, try drinking juice along with it.
Hemp oil tinctures come in a wide array of flavors and strengths and can address specific ailments you are looking to gain results in.
Keep in mind as you’re trying tinctures: If you don’t like a specific tincture, there are many other brands that may suit you better in terms of flavor and potency.
Additional Tips and Advice
- For single applications, you can add your carrier oil to the desired area first, using enough to wet the skin without becoming excessively oily. Then, immediately rub the oil into the area and massage deeply into the skin.
- Make sure you are using the right amount and applying properly. Use just enough and not more than you need. Topicals can be quite costly, so you want to get the most out of your product, and you certainly don’t want to waste any. Be sure you read the instructions on the product carefully before applying.
- Do not rub your eyes or other sensitive areas after applying. Some oils contain substances such as eucalyptus, mint, and citrus, which can cause discomfort if, for instance, you rub your eyes after applying the oil.
- CBD oil is intended as relief, not a cure. Although CBD oil can be highly effective at relieving pain and discomfort, remember that it is not a cure and is only intended to ease suffering and help the management of pain. Don’t expect it to permanently heal any conditions or ailments you may have.
- If you forget to apply your cream or ointment, apply the correct dose when you remember, and then carry on as before. The important factor here is not to overcompensate for missed doses by applying more when you remember. By doing this, you will only use more than you need and ultimately waste some of the product.
Whichever form you are taking for alleviating the pain you are feeling in your joints, pay close attention to how your body is responding to the CBD and adjust accordingly to ramping up of the dosage (or treatment) or ceasing them altogether. You are the best determinate to how you are feeling and it is the best practice to know how your systems interact with ANYTHING you take into your body.